Sunday, February 3, 2013

Health and Wealth....or Just Health

So, I mentioned on Facebook the other day about how fate seemed to be shouting in my face that I needed to get off my lazy ass and lose some weight.  That morning my jeans were too tight.  That afternoon when I got  home there was a Women's Health mag shouting at me about the best way to get fit and healthy.  That night, while sitting on the floor with The Small One, she pointed out how big and fat my belly was.  In fact, she told me I looked pregnant.  Good times.  Nothing like a little hit to your self-esteem to get you motivated, right?
Now, to be sure, as my dear friend reminds me regularly, I'm not fat.  And I need to learn to be content with the body I have.  That being said, I'm not content.  I was a thin girl most of my life, even skinny at some points, so being...not skinny...is a bit difficult for me.  And, you know, I made a human, which takes a toll on one's body.  I will never be as thin and fit as I was when I was, say, 25..

I'm the absurdly thin girl in the glasses.  This was, of course, 13 years ago.  My metabolism was still high and I was much more healthy eater.  Not to mention the fact that I got regular exercise.  I don't do that so much anymore, my life seems to have gotten in the way, a bit.
Add to that the fact that I just scheduled a photo shoot with an amazing photographer, well, there's some more incentive for me.  I want to be fabulous.  
I know, it's silly.  I've fallen prey to the stupidity that is pop culture.  Why should I be concerned about it?  I'm not really that fat.  I qualify as chubby.  But, my girl loves me, chubby or otherwise.  So do my friends.  In fact, they don't even see it.  If I were to show my dearest friend a picture of me today, I doubt they would even notice the chub.  What they'd notice is what they love about me.  I feel the same way when I see a picture of my friends.  I see what I love.  I see how beautiful they are.  Or how fun, or how delightful.  I see how they love their children or what they are doing.  But, no, I don't tend to see that about myself.  I think many of us are like that.  Too many fashion magazines.  Too much pounding into our skulls how we aren't thin enough or pretty enough.  And yep, I caved.  
But, don't worry.  I won't go too far.  I don't want to look like that girl up there.  I was that skinny in my 20's and it was part of who I was.  I'm not that skinny any more, and it would take WAY more effort than I am interested in investing to look like that again.  I have more important things to do that be skinny.  But, you know, I would like to not squish over my jeans when I sit down.  I would like to be thin enough so that my dear sweet, honest girlie can't tell me that I look like I'm pregnant.  Will it happen?  I don't know?  It's either that or become ok with the body I live it.  They both seem difficult to obtain. 
My end goal is to weigh what I did before I got pregnant.  I think part of my problem is looking at that end goal and seeing just how far away it is.  And, it's far enough.  20 lbs away, if you want to know.  So, I've decided to take it in 2 week bites.  I can do anything for 2 weeks.    So, 2 weeks from now, I hope to be 5 lbs lighter.  We'll see what I feel like doing for the 2 weeks after that when we get there.
Wish me luck.  It means no more brie and olives for dinner for the next two weeks. No crab and goat cheese ravioli.  It also means watching my too skinny daughter eat up creamy, gorgeous delicious foods in an attempt to fatten her back up, while not having any myself. It may kill me.


6 comments:

la said...

I hear you, luv. All too clearly. I think the real kicker is how often OTHER people ask me if I'm pregnant. People who should know better.

Kaytee Postma said...

Whole grains in exchange for simple carbs (but don't cut carbs out entirely as they are your body's energy source)

Chicken is the super protein

Sugar is the devil

Loooooooooooooots of water

Limit if not completely remove soda from your diet (easier said that done) but that alone might jumpstart your weightloss.

Lastly, on days when they weather is nice, go for a walk with the Small one. Get outside. Vitamin D is great for your overall moode. I try to get outside when the weather is above 40°. She will love getting some one on one time and you will be burning calories.

Hope this helps.

lillysmum said...

Thanks, Kaytee. I will do the whole grains thing, I eat a lot of chicken, I refuse to give up soda entirely and I am gone from 7 am to 7 pm everyday, so there is no daylight in which to walk with the girl. Nor has it been above 40. I guess I'll stick to tackling the eating part for now. ;) And Lala, I got nothin'. Why would someone ask you that? Idiots, really.

Kaytee Postma said...

Another good tip I just heard on the biggest loser is to substitute the white condiments (ie: miracle whip, mayo, sour cream) for PLAIN (not vanilla) fat free greek yogurt. I'm going to try that myself cause mayo is just empty calories

lillysmum said...

That is a good tip. I use plain yogurt for a lot of things. Use greek yogurt, though, not regular. It works better.

Kaytee Postma said...

I said greek. It's loaded with protein!