Monday, April 28, 2014

Redo

Two blog posts this close together?  Aren't you all lucky folk. Not only that, neither one is depressing! Woo-hoo!  I'm on a roll!

So, Small Daughter and I moved into this apartment a few months ago, and since then, it's been a bit of a battle to get things organized and whatnot.  Previously, I lived in my most beautiful house in a lovely little town near here.  It was delightfully old, had a lot of character and probably some ghosts, though I never encountered any myself.  It has old heart pine wood floors and high ceilings and a lot of original woodwork. and it was BIG. I loved that place and was very sad to have to leave it.

When it came time to find an apartment for self and Small Daughter, I knew I wanted something that was similar in feel to what I'd had before.  I looked long and hard and finally landed on this place.  It's old, not quite as old as mine was, it has lovely wood floors, high ceilings and lots of original woodwork.  It has some really cool old light fixtures and great windows.  It has some...um...problems, though, no question.  Big cracks in the ceiling, some water damage on the walls and old knob and tube wiring.  And no electrical outlet in the bathroom which is HIGHLY  inconvenient.  And, it's half the size.  BAD.

All that being said, though, it is inexpensive and very cute and suits me and the Small One quite well.  In fact, I let her help me choose it.  She liked it because it looks like our old house.

So, having left my old place, I needed some pieces of furniture, as some of them stayed behind.  I had to get a new couch and a cabinet, because storage in this house is at a premium.  I decided to repaint a shelf I owned and add some crown molding so it would match the new place better.  And I wanted new curtains. And so, I got a couch at the thrift store, it was ugly as sin, but I LOVED the shape of it, and then my mom gave me a cabinet for my front room as well.

Here, for your viewing enjoyment, are some before and after pics of my projects.

Couch Before-UGLY


Ooh, look!  Pretty Couch!!


Ugly Ikea Cabinet


Oh, Pretty Cabinet!!


Crown molding and paint do wonders.  Yes, I am going to reupholster her little recliner.  She chose a lovely floral matelasse that matches the couch.


Because I cannot have curtains without blue stripes.  It's a bit ridiculous.





1 comment:

Adam said...

There are certain people. Certain important people. Certain important people who have not been invited to see the new place as of yet. Certainly no more than an unintentional oversight. Certainly.