Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Happy Thanksgiving, y'all!

So, I've had a crappy few days.  Sewed my finger at work, the needle broke off and a bit got stuck in my finger, so I had to push it through and pull it out with some big tweezers.  It was gross, it hurt a lot and I ended up having to go to Instacare to get it X-rayed and get a tetanus booster. Not awesome.
Yesterday, I finished a cushion I was reupholstering for a friend and went by his house to drop it off. I'd been fighting a migraine all day, which sucked, because I was out of meds.  I figured I would drop off the cushion, hang out and admire my handiwork for a bit, then head home after traffic had died down a bit.  I hate driving in traffic, but it's a hundred times worse with a migraine.

So, there I sat on his couch, eating brie and water crackers when, all of a sudden, my head just exploded.  I'm lucky I didn't vomit on his floor, it was that bad.  I set my cracker down and said "I have to go home."  He watched me for a moment, as I unsteadily made my way to the door and down the steps.  He followed me out, took my arm and returned me to the house, saying I was unfit to drive and that I should lay down.  So, naturally, I started to cry.

Now, I freely admit that I am a bit of a crybaby.  It's one of the things I sincerely dislike about myself, but there it is.  When I have a migraine, I get weepy, it's just how it works.  So, there I am, wobbling in his front room with tears streaming down my dead white face.  Embarrassing would be the word for this.  I felt like an idiot.  But, he was right, I was in no fit state to drive home.  So, I laid on his floor for some time, then spent the night, propped in a sitting position on the couch, as it was too painful to lay down.  Come this morning, I was still in some serious pain, so he left me there when he went to work.  He was terribly kind, but still, I felt like crap, I had no intention of inconveniencing him in that manner and I generally manage (and prefer) to be in my own bed when I boo-hoo in pain.

All of this is a preface to the remainder of my day and what I am looking forward to this weekend. After I more or less recovered, I went to work.  I was only there for an hour before my boss sent me home because the carpet was being redone at work and the smell was horrible and she was worried about my migraine recurring.  So, I left and got home in time to walk over to the school to pick up my girl.  My wee nephew was at my mom's, so they came with me and I put the baby down to fetch the Small Daughter, and the look on his face when he saw her was priceless.  He loves her and she him, although they irritate each other to no end.  She was happy to see me, as well.  I hadn't seen her for a couple of days, so it was a delight to get her early.

We spent the rest of the afternoon shopping for Thanksgiving, which was delightful, but CROWDED!

When we got home, Small Daughter promptly ran upstairs to see her friends.  I live in an apartment in my BFF's basement, and she has three littles near Small Daughter's age, it's fantastic.  I tidied up, did some work, took a bath, had a chat with the friend from the night before, then sat on my bed and ate pomegranate while reading.  Delightful.  Small Daughter came home about an hour ago, "Mom, I'm STARVING!", so I plopped her in bed, handed her the Kindle, reheated some Cafe Rio soup and queso for her, then climbed in next to her.  She wrapped her arms around me, gave me a kiss and said, "I'm lucky to have a mamma as nice as you!"

Happy Thanksgiving, indeed.  My life is blessed.

No comments: