Sunday, April 6, 2008

General Conference

Wow, I am blown away. We have just watched the Sunday morning session of General Conference (LDS Church) and I am in awe. All of the talks were wonderful. They seemed to focus a great deal on basic doctrine, which, here is the interesting thing...I have been involved in some debates about Christianity on Ravelry, and there have been many, many questions about the beliefs and doctrines of the LDS Church. I posted that Conference was this weekend, in case any of those who aren't members wanted to here first hand. And then, they cover basic doctrine! So amazing. I hope some of the people who asked got to hear some of it, because it was explained much better than I can do it.

Anyway, the most awesome part was this. President Monson gave the final talk of the morning session and as we were watching/listening, DH (Mike) said "You can see that the mantle has settled on him. He looks different." And he was so right. It had been a little odd to me to think of him as our prophet, I think because President Hinckley was for so long. But when he got up to speak, I didn't have any weirdness at all. He felt right. He is right. So amazing. He is the prophet, there is no doubt in my mind. I felt the Spirit SO strongly, such a strong confirmation that the Lord put him in this position. The whole time he spoke, that is all I could think of, I was being told so strongly, the Lord wanted me to know, this man is the chosen leader of our Church. I am so THANKFUL that the Lord watches out for me this way. That he is willing to grant me the answer.

There is more that I wanted to say, but I can't remember what it was. Darn it. Oh, well. Maybe it will come back to me.

I love how the Lord prepares our leaders for their work. President Hinckley was in the upper echelons of the church from his 20's on. He was in it as a career. President Monson has moved up through the ranks of the church leadership from the age of 23. The Lord wants an experienced man leading us.

I don't have words for how I feel about this. It is amazing


No comments: