Tuesday, August 27, 2013

OWWWWW!

Migraines are evil.  There's no two ways about it, they are pure evil.  I'm fairly certain the devil invented them.  I get them altogether too often and it's starting to affect my life.  Oh, who am I kidding, it isn't starting to affect my life,  it DOES affect it, in a very bad way.  I missed work yesterday because of one, at a time when I can ill afford to miss work.  Not only are things starting to get a bit busy, but I am running out of sick time, and I am sure it doesn't look good for me as an employee to keep missing work once or twice a month.  I'm not really sure what to do about it.  I've changed my diet, I exercise more often than I did.  I know I need to reduce the amount of stress I experience, but there isn't much I can do about that.  I have meds for said migraines, but they don't work as well as they used to and I am only allowed so many per month by my insurance company.  Hooray for American healthcare.  Apparently, according to Selecthealth, my migraines should magically limit themselves so I don't run out of meds before I'm allowed to get my next batch.

Anyway, I hate migraines.  They leave me sick and depressed and terribly tired.  They make me feel bad for Small Daughter because all I can do when I get one is lay in bed and wish someone would chop off my head. She is a sweet and lovely girl, and sadly, she is all too used to me with a migraine now and knows what to do.  Which is, go easy on Mamma, don't get in trouble, rub Mamma's head, keep quiet and try to take care of herself.  Don't get me wrong, when I have one, I do still manage to feed the child, etc.  But, she ends up watching far too much TV while parked next to me on the couch or bed.  Yesterday, I took her over to my mom's, as I was planning to go to work, but by the time I got to my mom's house, I was ready to throw up, so I just collapsed on the floor and my mom was kind enough to care for the child most of the day.  I'm counting my blessings in that regard.

I've got to find another option, however.  Things are getting to a point at work where I really can't miss a day unless someone is dying.  And, I don't want to miss a day, as it reflects poorly on me, and I like to think I am a responsible person.  I don't like slacking at work.

Last night, as is often the case, my head exploded.  It was really, really bad.  I took a shower and then laid down on the couch so I could keep an eye on the Small Daughter.  Eventually, her dad came home and took her downstairs for the evening and I passed out on the couch.  Sometime around 2 am, I finally managed to crawl into my own bed, after taking 4 ibuprofen and hoping for the best.  My alarm went off at 6:15, as usual, and I sat up and promptly laid back down.  Still there.  I took a migraine pill and went back to sleep until 7, at which point I felt ok.  So, I got up, started getting things ready for school, made Small Daughter's lunch, went into her room to get her clothes and was attacked by a wave of pain so bad that I just curled up on the floor for a while.  I finally recovered for a bit, got the child dressed and started to gather up all the things for school and work.  Another wave of pain hit and I sat down on the couch, then laid down, figuring it would pass.  It didn't.  Small Daughter came and laid down with me and we both fell asleep.  It felt so good.  She was laying on my chest with her head pressed into mine and the warmth and pressure helped the pain enormously, bless her.  We slept there for a good hour and I finally recovered and took her to school, an hour late.  Yeah, I'm lame like that.

But, the three days that my migraines last are up and I am fine again.  Until next time.

In other news, I had a fitting with a bride tonight, I am making her a custom dress.  She looked fabulous. Perfect.  Gorgeous.  I was so pleased, and even more pleased about how excited she was about how good she looked.  Hooray!

No comments: